The Friendships Program builds friendships between persons with and without IDD. The program is developed each year during the academic period starting in September and ending in June. Each new season new matching “one-to-one friendships” are developed and older friendships from previous years continue. This program enhances the lives of persons with IDD and it gives them the opportunity to live happy meaningful lives with the important gift of friendship. Through their participation, people with IDD form meaningful connections with their peers, gain self-confidence and self-esteem, and share interests, experiences and activities that many other individuals enjoy. Further, we educate the community and our volunteers about social inclusion and acceptance of diversities among persons.
What we offer
To persons with IDD:
- A real and pure friendship
- Improved self-esteem
- Development of social skills through participation in interpersonal and team activities.
- Love, affection and respect
- Contact with the IDD community in Greece
- Introduction with Best Buddies’ Global movement
- Supervised practical experience while supporting persons with IDD
- Certificate of participation in the Best Buddies Greece program